Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Htbaa
rank 6
Posted:
Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:48 pm
quote : #16
profile : pm
Hmm it's worth a try I guess. But before I'm going to do that I have another question. I also have a desktop pc here with a modem (I used it for the pc-dc server, but it didn't work). Would it be possible to use the same setup so I can let the desktop use the modem to dial-in into my laptop (the server). So my laptop shares the internet connection (broadband) to the desktop pc with modem. If you can't follow me, I want to do the same thing as the pc-dc setup but instead of a DC, it's a desktop. I want to try this before I buy a second DC modem.

Thanks.

http://www.pcc-online.net
[UKR]Adam1902
rank 17
Posted:
Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:51 am
quote : #17
maybe u shud make another topic about this, and post it in the off-topic section...

Adam.

Htbaa
rank 6
Posted:
Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:24 am
quote : #18
It only requires a yes or no and it's about the same subject. I don't see the problem here.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:46 pm
quote : #19
Type: NTSC-U/C
What operating system are you using on your two systems Htbaa?

The whole DC<>PC thing in windows XP is pretty near impossible to set up.

Quote:
Would it be possible to use the same setup so I can let the desktop use the modem to dial-in into my laptop (the server). So my laptop shares the internet connection (broadband) to the desktop pc with modem.

It should be possible to get this to work, but when dialing out from the PC modem, it looks for a dial tone so you would have to find a way around this for a direct connection.

I think it would be much easier to buy a $10 ethernet adapter for your PC. You could even buy two , then you could share the connection from the Desktop to the laptop rather than the other way around. Windows XP is designed with that in mind and therefore makes internet sharing really easy over ethernet.

Since this might be getting a little offtopic you could PM me or start a new topic

circ
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:21 pm
quote : #20
I understand you want help mate like adam said can we try stick on the topic. i want this like a sticky where people post there configs for this type of connection not help at getting it to work *hint* make another thread Very Happy

cheers

Circ

CONTACT ME VIA PM OR EMAIL IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME
Htbaa
rank 6
Posted:
Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:51 pm
quote : #21
Alright, I'm sorry for going slightly offtopic. I think I know enough. Right now I'm hunting down a modem with the model number given a few posts ago. I found one, but it was a B version. Can anyone confirm I need a A version? Also, when I figure out how I will try my Gentoo Linux to get the PC <> DC connection working. I have better hopes it works there instead of on Windows XP.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:05 pm
quote : #22
Neutral Well...Disregard what I said earlier about the A and B type modems because...well... I just got a B type to work with the PC<>DC server.

Now I'll have to do some more research into what exactly is different between the modems that work and those that don't Sad

Soharis
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:37 pm
quote : #23
Sorry

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4190

Last edited by Soharis on Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

circ
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:09 pm
quote : #24
MAKE A NEW THREAD!!!! Cant people read i know you would like help but i made this thread for people WHO HAVE DONE IT to put there configs etc so we can get some research on what works etc no one knows exactly how it works like 100% this research is here to find out. So make another thread if you want help. That goes for everyone sorry it may sound im being mean but i dont want this to be a pointless thread where people are like ''what do i need '' ''why cant i get it working'' MAKE A NEW THREAD if you want help.

CONTACT ME VIA PM OR EMAIL IF YOU WANT TO TALK TO ME
genezis
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:43 pm
quote : #25
My specifications to go online:

1. Windows Me on a intel 166 MMX PC.

2. This guide: http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/

3. Usrobotics 56k ISA voice data fax modem .

4. Winroute lite/pro 4.2.5 / Browsegate 2/3

5. Planetweb / xdp

6. NTSC 56K Model: 670-14140A. Works without dial tone for Pso and F355. For Quake 3, starlancer and 4x4 you must use the line simulator.

7. My server is working on a 486 with coyote linux. Im using an adsl zyxel prestige 600 series modem. id get it working with an usb modem too.

8. My dns server on the dc side are similar to these "192.168.1.xxx" (i didnt put any zeros), the same ip like the 166 MMX.

I can surf the internet and connect to f355 very well, sometimes i can play online at pso (without using port mapping). But ill try the ports mapping that SEGA RPG FAN gave.

I believe that everybody who get it to work must to post their configurations, and exchange information with all of us, letting the newbies to ask as well (after reading everything we said).
A guide step by step about how to use an old pc with linux just for going online with pso, would be great.

Saludos! Smile
Posted:
Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:23 pm
quote : #26
Will it work with a modem?

Logan_GBA
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:36 pm
quote : #27
Type: NYSC-U
genezis wrote:

A guide step by step about how to use an old pc with linux just for going online with pso, would be great.

well, The computer I used as a PPP server is my old Pentium 233MHZ MMX with 64MB of RAM, very low-end

genezis
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:45 pm
quote : #28
Logan_GBA, (if you have the time) would be great if you explain in an easy way how to do that server? cause the guide you gave is too complicate! Rolling Eyes
I use coyote linux (very simple to implement) on a pppoe connection, maybe remplacing it with ppp and using just 1 net card and 1 modem, i can make it. what do you think?

Thanks you!

forget!

Only works with analog modems Metal Hedgehog!
Posted:
Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:24 pm
quote : #29
if this helps anyone... i had 2 modems, and only one worked. i almost gave up but i remembered some werent compatable so i popped in my 2nd one and i was happy as a tulip

Dreamcast ™
rank 39
Posted:
Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:42 pm
quote : #30
So far Genezis was the only one to post the most important part of the information... Whether or not it's ISA or PCI. PCI typically means it's a software modem. ISAs are hardware (which is what I think we are aiming for). I FINALLY got Quake III working and can play LAN games with it now through a 33k ISA modem in a 133 MHz machine.

Right now I'm trying to get another modem in there so I can create a "link cable" of sorts. More like an RJ-11 hub. This way I can just connect to one box. Only problem is finding another ISA hardware modem that isn't under 33k.