Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
John Square
rank 1
Posted:
Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:08 am
quote : #46
profile : pm
Cheers, man.

I work in IT/networks and the like, and what the guide's proposing looks pretty straightworward, but I know virtually nothing about modem control commands- so if I hit a snag I'm expecting it to be there.
Fortunately, the laptop I'm planning on using has a lucent win modem (voice compatible) so the guide at cosolevision for win 2k should get me through that stuff

My DC is an older (rev 0) PAL/UK model, so I'll post back my results.

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:09 am
quote : #47
Type: NTSC-U/C
Perfect. Good luck. Smile

lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:09 am
quote : #48
To John Square:

I should point out that the best guide so far is for WIndows 98 only, which me DreamcastTM and I collaborated on:

http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_tech_net_pcdcwin98.php

Some of the information found there might also assist in working with other operating systems. The above may work for WinME but we havn't tested it with that OS yet (people should avoid it like the plague anyway).

So far a proven universal method for getting the PC-DC setup to work with Win2000 / WinXP has not been fully fleshed out, and any new information discovered that would assist in this process would be greatly appreciated. So I wish you good luck in your research with Windows2000.
Posted:
Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:23 am
quote : #49
Actually, I was thinking of contributing a guide for Win2k PC/DC servers, if I get it working- provided this doesn't conflict with work other members (such as Dreamcast TM) are doing.

I'll have a crack, and contribute anything I do learn.

(and nice job on the site- best DC resource I've found by a long way)

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:48 am
quote : #50
Feel free to contribute anything you want. Every little bit helps.

In the future a lot of the problems associated with the current setup will be alleviated (at least, that is the hope and primary goal of the project.)

• Compatibility for all modems across every Windows ® operating system.
  • Operating system support for Windows ® systems 98 through XP (95 is still a possibility.)
  • Integrated NAT (no more Winroute crashes or setup required. Efficient port forwarding (no more vulnerable port ranges.)
  • Ability to easily point any game to an official or personal server without memory card / save hacks (Maximum Pool, and another game which will not be named at this time.)
  • Custom boot CD that will set the Dreamcast's settings automatically so you can easily configure any Dreamcast to operate with the PC / DC server without having to manually configure it.

John Square
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:32 am
quote : #51
Sadly, I couldn't get the PC/DC server up and running. I'm certain the problem was a lack of voltage over the line, as all of the registry hacks and RAS config was straightforward, and unlikely to cause problems.

I'm on the shark now for a USB modem that'll avoid the voltage issue.

I'll update as and when I pick one up.

Sorry guys!

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Sun May 07, 2006 12:10 am
quote : #52
For those trying the get a pc-dc server running under linux from this guide...

http://www.kinox.org/articles/linuxdc.html

some of the links are totally useless. i'd recommend setting up a PPP server using this guide

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO.html#PPP-SERVER

I'll see if I can set this up and I'll post my results. I'm currently running Suse 10.0 but will be upgrading to 10.1 when it's released on May 11th
rank 5
Posted:
Tue May 09, 2006 6:16 pm
quote : #53
simple question,
the cord that goes from the dc to the pc is plug on line or phone?
Confused

Dreamcast â„¢
rank 39
Posted:
Tue May 09, 2006 10:04 pm
quote : #54
Line.

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Wed May 17, 2006 9:48 pm
quote : #55
I'm going to try either Windows NT Workstation 4.0 (ancient), or Ubuntu, depending on my hard drive situation.

My current machine is running XP Pro, so if I can score a larger HD, I'll dual boot Ubuntu, but if not, I'll dual boot NT. Ubuntu needs around 2 gigs plus space for normal files, whereas Windows NT Workstation 4.0 only needs 117MB (I wouldn't be using it for anything other than DC/PC server).

I'll post my results.

gRimGrAvY014
rank 27
Posted:
Thu May 18, 2006 12:28 pm
quote : #56
What version of Ubuntu will you be testing on if you try it? Breezy Badger 5.10 or Dapper?

Einhander
rank 20
Posted:
Sat May 20, 2006 1:20 am
quote : #57
It was going to be 5.10 Breezy Badger, but I ended up using Windows 2000 because the HDD I had Ubuntu on was giving me trouble. Basically, I went from Windows XP Pro to Ubuntu to Windows NT Workstation 4.0 to Windows 2000 Professional within a week.

Windows 2k using a Lucent WinModem and the guide from ConsoleVision yielded no success. My DC keeps telling me that there is no dial tone, check my ISP number. I'm assuming this is because I need a voltage simulator. All four of my different modems gave the same results.

I don't have a phone jack in my room, but tomorrow I'm going to get a longer cord and run it from another room in the house to see if I can hot swap the cords at the right time and connect that way.

EDIT: I was under the assumption that the Sega Saturn Netlink modem would pull enough power from the cartridge slot to work, as opposed to requiring juice from the phone line, but it gave me the exact same error message. Does anyone know if the Netlink needs line power to operate? I figure If the Netlink operates entirely on power from the cartridge slot, and I'm still getting an error message, then that would mean that I made a mistake somewhere with the software and would have to work on that before I could get my DC connected properly.

sebasvv
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:51 pm
quote : #58
Maybe a dead topic by now but this is how i did it, hopefully it will help someone:

1. Windows XP service pack 2

2. a onboard/softmodem agere systems AC97 (driver version 2.1.47) v.92 in a Acer laptop

3. PAL 670-14116A (suppose this is the 33k)

4. Only the part from mterlouw were setting up a incoming connection http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/inconect.htm.
Only i set the check box with "allow callers to access my local area network" and changed the "TCP/IP address assignment" to "Assign TCP/IP addresses automatilly using DHCP"

5. Dreamkey 3.0

6. I used a small/cheap home PBX (a KPN homevox 1-4E) with four internal lines and used the internal calling to connect both modems, with this way i didn't have to use a external line for a dial-tone (is generated by the PBX) or a Line Voltage Simulator

Dreamcast78
unknown
Posted:
Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:55 am
quote : #59
Hi,

I also got it working with help from the PC-DC guide.
I actually have it working for over a year now, but forgot to post it..

I have a Toshiba 233Mhz laptop with Win98 and a wifi card for internet..
a PCMCIA modemcard
a 56K DC modem
and a VERY long telephone cable to trick the DC for games that don't support Blind Dial..
Smile

I don't know if it's significant, but I haven't seen any other setups here with a PC-card?
(I also don't know if it counts as a "Hardware modem")
Have tried another PC-card modem that I had and it also worked..

If it's true that it's the PC-card that is the winning factor, you could buy a cheap old Laptop and have a very portable dedicated Win98 server...

Dreamcast78

fackue
rank 2
Posted:
Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:36 pm
quote : #60
sebasvv wrote:
Maybe a dead topic by now but this is how i did it, hopefully it will help someone:

1. Windows XP service pack 2

2. a onboard/softmodem agere systems AC97 (driver version 2.1.47) v.92 in a Acer laptop

3. PAL 670-14116A (suppose this is the 33k)

4. Only the part from mterlouw were setting up a incoming connection http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/inconect.htm.
Only i set the check box with "allow callers to access my local area network" and changed the "TCP/IP address assignment" to "Assign TCP/IP addresses automatilly using DHCP"

5. Dreamkey 3.0

6. I used a small/cheap home PBX (a KPN homevox 1-4E) with four internal lines and used the internal calling to connect both modems, with this way i didn't have to use a external line for a dial-tone (is generated by the PBX) or a Line Voltage Simulator

You got the DC<->PC server working in XP?