Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
sebasvv
rank 1
Posted:
Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:04 pm
quote : #61
profile : pm
fackue wrote:
You got the DC<->PC server working in XP?

Yup, but you have to use a PBX for the line simulation

Stadic
rank 9
Posted:
Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:40 pm
quote : #62
Whats a PBX? Cause I've been trying to get it to work on my XP for like 2 days now...and I need serious help!!

sebasvv
rank 1
Posted:
Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:56 pm
quote : #63
For the exact description of a PBX http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_branch_exchange

I uses a small one with 1 external pstn* line and 4 internal pstn* lines, with the DC and the laptop connected to the internal lines.
The DC calls the other phone by a internal number, in my case 1002 for internal line 2 where the laptop is connected at.

*pstn=the old 4pin analog telephone line

Stadic
rank 9
Posted:
Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:06 pm
quote : #64
Hmmm I still don't really get it. But thanks anyway...

Puxel
rank 4
Posted:
Sun Aug 06, 2006 7:58 am
quote : #65
Ive been working on that for about 2 days now and Im still confused. Im giving up and buying a BBA.
Posted:
Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:34 am
quote : #66
Puxel wrote:
Ive been working on that for about 2 days now and Im still confused. Im giving up and buying a BBA.

Haha... good luck on finding one.

GuitarMaster
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:33 pm
quote : #67
I just recently got this process to work and want to help others, so here it goes...

1. Windows ME

2. Lucent Win Modem

3. 56K NTSC US modem

4. http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php (apparently this guide also works with Windows ME)

5. Planetweb 2.6

6. I am connected through a cable service for broadband. The actual PC I am using is connected off my router with no problems.
I have yet to try PSO through this setup, but will update you when this happens.

I hope this can solve some problems for you folks.

Posted Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:05 pm:

Just to update this post, PSO works perfectly fine hosting and playing games.
PCDC server is golden!

Kbuzz
rank 23
Posted:
Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:08 pm
quote : #68
Type: NTSC-U/C
I haven't done it yet but I figured I'd link to a recent guide that's just been translated from Spanish.

Ihttp://ragol.homeunix.net/

I'm sure not many people want to bother with windows ME or 98, but a flavour of linux or NetBsd is certainly a MUCH more appealing option.

I"ll try it out as soon as I can get my pc working again =/
rank 9
Posted:
Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:46 am
quote : #69
You lucky bastards. I never got mine to work... I guess the XP one. Razz

DreamDCE
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:50 pm
quote : #70
umm has anyone got the xp one to really work... cause i here nothing but problems with that one...

maskddingo
rank 1
Posted:
Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:58 pm
quote : #71
1. WinXP (Dell laptop)

2. Internal 56k lucent Winmodem.

3. 56k NTSC-U

4. http://www.consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/

5. PW 3.0,2.6 and XDP

6. I needed to use the voltage simulator form the aforementioned site to get my DC's modem to work.
Posted:
Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:05 am
quote : #72
Type: PAL
1. Win 98 SE
2. U.S Robotics 56k Message Modem
3. 33k PAL Spain Dreamcast modem (needs voltage...) 670-14116A
4. The famous one: http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/ for the PC connection,
and a tutorial of dc-arena.de
5. Dreamkey 3.1 and PlanetWeb 3.0 Smile
6. I use a PBX (or telephone switchboard, I don't know exactly in english). With this thing I don't need a line voltage simulator or swap trick, and it works great! In my case, I have to phone "1" because in slot 1 is the PC and 2 is the DC.
The PBX is a "Novacom Inter-4 RDSI" of Telefonica (a spanish telephone operator).

PD: With Win98 I can surf without problems, but It doesn't work for Maximum Pool! (tried with 2 PC with Win98). With XP, it works perfect!

Update 2: I also got it with Windows XP!!!
1. Win XP
2. U.S Robotics 56k Message Modem
3. 33k PAL Spain Dreamcast modem (needs voltage...) 670-14116A
4. The famous one: http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/ for the PC connection,
but ONLY I do the part of "Accepting Incoming Connections"!!!!! (that's important!)
5. Dreamkey 3.1 and PlanetWeb 3.0 Smile
6. I use a PBX (or telephone switchboard, I don't know exactly in english). With this thing I don't need a line voltage simulator or swap trick, and it works great! In my case, I have to phone "1" because in slot 1 is the PC and 2 is the DC.
The PBX is a "Novacom Inter-4 RDSI" of Telefonica (a spanish telephone operator).

I think that the key is using a PBX or line voltage simulator.

BONUS!!!!! I can get online into Quake 3 with the PBX!
I have to use the swap trick with the line phone... but it works like a charm Very Happy

Final update: I have finally get online with PSO using the PC-DC server. I need to use "Kerio Winroute Firewall" for port forwarding, no need to open any port in my router.

Ryochan7
rank 3
Posted:
Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:53 pm
quote : #73
1. Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon on a 1.66 GHz Athlon XP box.

2. TRENDnet TFM-560X 56k External Serial Modem. Current Newegg link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825134002

3. 56k NTSC US modem

4. http://ragol.homeunix.net/

Unlike before when I listed a whole bunch of guides, setting up a PC-DC server for the second time has shown me that the Ragol guide has practically all the information that is needed to get a working setup. The main general tip that it doesn't mention is about IP forwarding. See part 6 for what I did to enable IP forwarding and some extra things about my setup.

5. XDP Dreams (Planetweb 2.62)

6. I run mgetty from the command line with "sudo mgetty -D /dev/ttyS0" as opposed to using the inittab method used in the guides. I also have to enable ip forwarding on my server in order for my Dreamcast to access any outside IP address. I enable ip forwarding by adding ktune to the /etc/ppp/options file.

6.5. I had issues getting Quake 3 to work online. In order for Quake 3 to work properly with ppp, you have to disable the default-asyncmap option in the /etc/ppp/options file; for those who don't know this, this can be done by adding a # in front of the option (ex. #default-asyncmap). That change was also need for StarLancer to work.

Edit on 02/02/2008: The same method also works with Debian Etch. I have tried this method with Fedora 8 but I couldn't get things working.

Edit on 05/09/2008: My PC-DC server does not currently work well with Ubuntu Hardy Heron. My Dreamcast will connect to my PC-DC server fine rarely. Most of the time, mgetty does not even catch the call. Other times, there are random issues regarding ppp. Until I find a fix for the issues with Hardy, I will be using my Debian Etch box as a PC-DC server.

Edit on 05/10/2008: I am still having problems but now mgetty does catch every call that my Dreamcast makes; I am not sure why since nothing has really changed. I have been mainly testing my setup with 4x4 Evo. The first attempt always works fine but every other attempt fails when ppp tries to establish the connection. I have tried a lot of things to make multiple attempts work but the only things that fixes the problem is to reboot my PC-DC server. My Debian box does not have issues with multiple attempts. Other games, like PSO, also seem to have issues that I haven't experienced previously.

Edit on 05/19/2008: Now I know for sure that the problem doesn't have to do with mgetty or pppd. The problem is with the ppp_generic kernel module. When I encounter a problem with multiple connections under ppp, doing an rmmod on that module and each module using it (typically 3 when pppd is running) will allow connections to work prorperly again. At least now I know that the config files that I had been using are still correct.

hokman
rank 3
Posted:
Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 pm
quote : #74
Basically same as the OC guide, but on ME, model A modem for no hassle. Aopen internal modem connected on phone jack, not line. This PC is a server only and is connected to a router. Works perfectly.
Posted:
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:38 pm
quote : #75
Great to see you got it working hokman by following the guide. Always great to see people finding success in getting it to work Mr. Green