segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:23 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
Hi all,

I have been over with blast this evening trying to set him up with a PC-DC server, followed the guide pretty closely here and of course having setup my own working server wit windows ME I have a fairly good idea of what needs to be done.

Basically we have everything setup (as far as I can tell) and the DC connects to the PC without a hitch, however when the data starts to upload download...it gets to about 1000 bytes upload and download and then just stops this happens with games and browsers...planetweb actually throws up the "Unable to look up hosts name" error.

Cannot figure this one guys, we are using an internal US Robotics 56k voice modem and 56k DC modem and like I say we get a connection fine but nothing more than that...really odd..any suggestions?

Cheers, Craig

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer
4x4 Evo = Segadreamcaster

Visit the NEW Saturn netlink league www.saturnleague.com
lordnikon
rank 87
Posted:
Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:41 pm
quote : #2
If you have windows at your house, and have this working, take your 56k modem from your PC (in a static free bag) over to Blasts and install it on his PC. This will determine if it is a compatibility problem with his PC modem or not.
Posted:
Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:53 pm
quote : #3
lordnikon wrote:
If you have windows at your house, and have this working, take your 56k modem from your PC (in a static free bag) over to Blasts and install it on his PC. This will determine if it is a compatibility problem with his PC modem or not.

Yeah that could certainly be an option next time we meet up, but that probably won't be for a while....I would have thought if it were a modem issue it would just have refused to connect..thats the experience I have had with incompatible modems anyway.

I am kinda wondering if we may have overlooked something somewhere..not sure what any siggestion on what (in terms of settings) might cause this issue?

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer

Indiket
rank 2
Posted:
Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:12 pm
quote : #4
Type: PAL
Mmm, that's strange.
When I set my PC-DC server, first I tried with Win98 but I got similar problems. In Maximum Pool, I could connect OK, but inmediately after the connection, the game disconnected (about a few bytes of data transfered only). But it wasn't happened with the Dreamkey (I've got a PAL 33k modem).
Now, I've got Win XP configurated with PC-DC and since then, all the connections goes smooth and fine.

Win XP manages in a different way the incoming connections as Win 98/ME. So, you could give a try with winxp Smile

Also, I've got an external U.S Robotics 56k voice modem, and it goes perfectly, without any problems.
I hope I have given any usefull idea.

Cheers.

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:25 pm
quote : #5
I assume you're using winroute to route ports to the dreamcast.
If you haven't already tried it, route all ports to the dreamcast.
Also, when I tried to set mine up, at first winroute Pro would not work for me. So, if you're using Pro, try Lite or vice versa.
Other than that I have no ideas except what nikon already mentioned about modem compatibility.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
Indiket
rank 2
Posted:
Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:33 am
quote : #6
Type: PAL
For mapping ports in win xp, I use Kerio Winroute Firewall instead of Pro or Lite. But I only need this with PSO.......... Mr. Green

segadreamcaster
rank 37
Posted:
Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:58 am
quote : #7
Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses...year already using winroute pro, did try forwarding all ports but still a no go...very odd situation Sad

I have seen that a few people seem to have had success with an XP machine now..perhpas that could be worth a look at some point if all else fails..although not ideal as Blast's XP machine is his main machine and with potential conflict issues with firewalls etc its probably not worth the hassle.

very odd...

PSO = Ryo or SEGADCER
Q3A, Starlancer
Max Pool = Segadcer