1, 2  Next
gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:31 am
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
i was able to use a recording of dial tone to trick my Dreamcast into thinking it was connected to a phone line. this worked good for the swap trick. you can use any audio player to trick it. in my case i am using a wav recording. i connected a headphone jack to a phone cord and ran the audio through my PC speakers to my DC. you could use an MP3 player the same way i am using my PCs audio. if you do not have a MP3 player and cannot use a PC, use any recording device that you can play the audio back with. you will need to connect the red and green wires of the phone cord to the devices audio output.

one side note. if your trying to play quake 3 you will have to set up the Dreamcasts 2nt dial up settings. for more information about this read section 9 in the following link http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/phpBB2/guides_pcdcwin98.php
Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:52 am
quote : #2
Thank you very much for the info! I had been looking up the voltage of telephone devices, but couldn't find any, but had no idea it is the same as a standard headphone jack.
gary_b wrote:
you will need to connect the red and green wires of the phone cord to the devices audio output.

Which wire do you connect to the audio output's ground?
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:10 pm
quote : #3
MasquedWarrior wrote:
Thank you very much for the info! I had been looking up the voltage of telephone devices, but couldn't find any, but had no idea it is the same as a standard headphone jack.
this is actually pretty funny. I'm not poking fun at you but whats funny about it is headphone jacks were made for telephone systems first. back in the old days when operators had to connect the calls manually by plugging the lines in, they used phone jacks. these same jacks were latter used in headphones.

MasquedWarrior wrote:
gary_b wrote:
you will need to connect the red and green wires of the phone cord to the devices audio output.

Which wire do you connect to the audio output's ground?
the green one should be your positive (+). hook the red to your ground (-). i really don't think it would matter to much if someone accidentally hooks them up wrong. it would kinda be like hooking a speaker up backwards to an amp.

when you use this trick just make sure you have enough sound. i turn my volume up to about half way. each persons device might output a different amounts of audio, so this will be trial and error.

one last thing. if for some reason you hook the phone cord directly to a amplifier. do not turn the volume up very high. the reason i need to turn mine up half way is because I'm using headphones. for example if your crazy enough to splice the phone cord and plug the red and green wires into your home stereo systems speaker outputs. you will be running a shit load of power to your Dreamcsts modem. THIS IS NOT GOOD. i would not recommend that you try this. if for some reason you do try this, make sure the volume is turned way down. you won't need that much audio!!!
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:10 am
quote : #4
hey gary_b,
will this work on a line with a line voltage inducer?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:42 am
quote : #5
yes it should. this trick shouldn't have anything to do with you having or not having a line voltage inducer.
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:43 pm
quote : #6
ok, does it matter what side of the capacitor it goes on?

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:54 pm
quote : #7
that is a great question. i don't use a line voltage inducer so it is hard to say for sure. i would have to think as long as the inducer is connected it should work. so i would guess either side. but that is a guess.

i tested not using a line voltage inducer when doing the trick. it did not work. but as long as the line is getting the extra power it needs for the modem you should be ok.
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:43 am
quote : #8
Sorry, for the bump.

I did this and I got Quake 3's timer to go past eight (It stops at eight without a dial tone) all the way to 1 minute, and then it said General Failure.

I only got it to that twice, now I can't get it to work again, so I have some questions:

What order are you doing everything:

Are you doing:

Dial
Play mp3 file

Right away?

When do you throw in the dial-up server, and how long until the dial tone picks up?

Thank you.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:34 pm
quote : #9
i had the recording playing before i hit dial. then i told Q3 to connect, then i waited for the game to start dialing for a few seconds, not sure how long now? then i told the PC-DC server to listen.

this is all done the same way as a normal phone for the swap trick. only thing different is that you have a recording of dial tone.
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:42 pm
quote : #10
Alright, so do I start off with my TSR and then switch it to my phone cable?

Or, can I plug my TSR into my into my Phone port on my modem and then not worry about it at all?

EDIT:

I forgot to ask, could you upload your "35 sec dial tone.7z" file again please? The one that is uploaded is corrupt, I have downloaded it multiple times and have tried to use winrar and 7zip, neither of them were successful.

Thank you.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:14 pm
quote : #11
i have no idea what you're talking about "TSR". its simple, plug the spliced cord that you made in first, how else would you be able to trick the DC into thinking its a real phone line if its not plugged in first?

i cant upload the mp3 again, i no longer have it. i reformatted my hard drive and forgot to save it. i don't even see a download link in this thread for it. can you post the link?
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:37 pm
quote : #12
Yeah, I can post a link, but I am not sure if it is allowed, because it is from another website.

http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1630

Thank you for the help.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 pm
quote : #13
i made a new one and uploaded it. its in the same thread.
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 pm
quote : #14
Thank you very much.

gary_b
rank 37
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:41 pm
quote : #15
you're welcome, let me know if it works for you.