Page Location: Home > Support > PC-DC Server > Topic
Animan1
rank 1
Posted:
Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:55 pm
quote : #1
profile : pm
Type: NTSC-U/C
After nearly four whole days trying to get my Dreamcast online, I haven't felt more frustrated in quite some time. I thought I went through all that I had to do and all the pain of the circumstances and everything, I still have had no successful connection yet. I have tried every method known, but none have worked.

Right after thoroughly going through the DC-PC Windows XP guide (a second time), I thought I had everything set up, until I realized that Incoming Connections was not on even though I already set it up. I tried to set it up again, but all i get is a message saying "Routing and Remote Access could not be started" and so on. Any help on getting Routing and Remote Access started up?

By now I would have given up, but I won't stop until I can get successfully get my Dreamcast online.

Please help. Like... now.

TheMytho
rank 28
Posted:
Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:38 pm
quote : #2
You are not going to want to hear this, but is there any chance you can use Windows 98? The process for setting the PC-DC server up in XP is much more complicated, as you have already found out.

I personally have no experience setting the server up with XP, so I'm afraid I can't help you there. I know you are probably at the point where you want to throw the thing out the window, but you should start from square one with Windows 98.

jjc5150
rank 11
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:32 pm
quote : #3
I Agree with Mytho 100% on this one.

You really should just start over with either windows 98, or Me. The success with these two are almost guaranteed, while windows xp / 2000 is almost impossible to get working.

I followed the guide here at OC - Using windows Me, and I had no problems - worked on the first try.
Jabber ID: JJC5150@jabber.org
Favrenation
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 pm
quote : #4
There is actually a guide to get it to work on XP. Right here: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1956
It seems to be a lot harder to do than older versions though.

erb365
rank 9
Posted:
Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:09 pm
quote : #5
and here is a video if your more of a visual persone http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQSffLlp7lM made a while ago using lordnikon's & dreamcast(tm) guide and and another one i can't remember

SEGA RPG FAN
rank 20
Posted:
Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:53 am
quote : #6
You can run windows 98 within XP using Microsoft's Virtual PC. It can be downloaded free and I've used it with success. You just need to get a copy of the windows 98 setup cd, either disc image or physical copy.
Official Servers: (formerly) Nawara'ven
TeamXlink
rank 8
Posted:
Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:35 pm
quote : #7
Animan1 wrote:

Right after thoroughly going through the DC-PC Windows XP guide (a second time), I thought I had everything set up, until I realized that Incoming Connections was not on even though I already set it up. I tried to set it up again, but all i get is a message saying "Routing and Remote Access could not be started" and so on.

I had that same problem with my attempt at it, I assumed it was just me but I guess not. I couldn't think of a way to fix it either, I tried uninstalling winroute and everything, but I had no success.

I attempted it on Windows 98 and it works like charm, sort of.